Monday, July 8, 2013

Setting sail on the S.S. Proactive, on our way to beat Blounts Disease.

       So, I had a friend tell me about GoFundMe. It's a website where you can set up your own profile, set a goal, and ask friends and family to donate to your cause. I'll be honest, at first I was more interested in making my cause "New Wardrobe" or "Vacation to the Caribbean", but I settled with "AnnaRae Vs. Blounts Disease". She's lucky that those crazy legs are more important than my life of luxury. So, anyway, I posted my GoFundMe profile on my facebook, and within like 5 minutes, I had four amazing amazing people make donations. I'll be perfectly honest, I felt that knot in my throat. That knot you feel when you watch "My Girl". You know. Don't Lie . So let me just say thank you a thousand times to Teresa, Heather, Shelley, and the Johnsons, you are all beautiful people. I can't thank you enough. I'd like to say that I am not only thanking people for the obvious financial help. I've made it no secret that we just can't afford the out of pocket expenses required for her braces. But what most of you don't know, is that there's a little flicker in my heart that I feel everytime someone sends a well wish, or donates to the page for us. I'd like to thank you for THAT as well, because that's a feeling that I've never experienced. The people in my life are truly amazing.


Here is the "Widget" for my GoFundMe profile. <3 br="" nbsp="">
       
            Alright, before I start crying, let me give you a SMALL update. When Dr. Haynes told me that AnnaRae needed leg braces, I kind of just brushed it off. "Okay, cool". I didn't think to ask too many questions. As the days went on after her diagnosis, I started thinking of a THOUSAND questions. Well, I found out a couple.

1. What are these braces called exactly? 
bilateral KAFO (Knee, Anke, Foot, Orthotics) braces.

2. How exactly is she fitted for these?
It's a "casting" process. It should take around 45 minutes to an hour. But I'm thinking, in AnnaRae time that's like 2 hours, she's hates being poked and examined. (Lucky me)

3. When can I take them off of her?
When she goes to bed, when she swims, and when she bathes.

I should get a little more info on Thursday when she's getting casted. I'll have a nice long hour to ask some questions. I'll update then! Thanks everyone!

July 7th, 2013

-Heather M.

No comments:

Post a Comment