Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Shriners Hospital for Children

        So, in my post yesterday, I mentioned that I got in contact with the care coordinator at Shriners. Well, I emailed her pictures of AnnaRae and her X-ray's from our Orthopedist here in Jersey. When I initially spoke to Debbie, I let her know my situation. This is all new to me. She said she would show AnnaRaes pictures to one of their orthopedic surgeons. I told her that I would like to bring AnnaRae to Shriners if they felt it was necessary. I don't want to commute almost two hours to Philly if it's a mild case. So, she emailed me back and said that the doctor thinks I should bring her in for an appointment, so they can examine her in person.
       
          I'm really not entirely sure how I feel about it. Obviously, a big part of me is happy that some of the best orthopedists are going to be giving me a second opinion. But, at the same time, I was sort of expecting an email that says "AnnaRae looks like she will be just fine, there's no need to commute two hours to see us". Nobody expects to hear something negative about their child. Nobody wants to hear that their child is no longer that "perfectly healthy baby". AnnaRae was diagnosed a week ago, and this week feels like a wild roller coaster ride. The sad part is, we haven't even begun yet. We're going to get her legs casted tomorrow, which will take about an hour. I'm hoping we can distract her with snacks and electronics. That works for everyone, right?

           I also called the original orthopedist who diagnosed her today. I'm not sure why, but I felt the need to ask how sure he was that she had Blounts Disease. Part of me thought maybe he missed something. Well, I learned something else. Don't second guess Orthopedic Surgeons. He just kept saying to me "Mrs. Acquavella, it's Blounts Disease". And I didn't care enough to correct him on my last name. I tried to re-diagnose her myself. I said "maybe she just has bowed legs". He didn't agree. I guess these guys know what they're doing. More so than I do anyway.

       She missed me while I was running today. Maybe I just appreciate her hugs more, as of recent. But she seems to be very lovey dovey lately. Can't get enough.


Dr. Haynes said she's going to need her leg braces for at least a year. It's going to be a long year. Bring it on.


"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt



-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment